Saturday, September 18, 2010

(Originally posted on August 1, 2010. Post-dated to keep this at the top. Other newer posts will appear below until 9/18)


As many of you may have heard by now, our beloved teammate Roy McConnell was tragically killed last night along with 3 of his sons by a DUI driver. The Blanchard Park Y Tri Club will dedicate our two August team races to him.

On Saturday, September 18 (new date!), we are racing a sprint tri locally at Moss Park (see Mango Tri Festival) and inviting EVERYONE who knew Roy to come join us to celebrate Roy's life and tri spirit. There are duathlon and aquabike options for those who would prefer to run-bike-run or swim-bike, as well as relay options. Even if you are not planning to race, you can attend as a spectator or volunteer and help pay tribute to an exeptional man, father and a team favorite, Roy McConnell. Please keep his family in your prayers.

Special things at Roy's Race announced!

6 comments:

Jacklynn said...

So sad Roy! We are all going to miss you. Thank you for the time that we got to know you. We'll always remember our "snorkler" swimmer who could swim circles around EVERYONE. We truly loved your encouragement and could see how our Lord was your hero. You are our hero too!
We love you and we'll miss you.
Coach Jackie

ShirleyPerly said...

Roy, thank you for the long rides and many hours of conversations we shared together in training for Beach 2 Battleship iron tri last year. For finding me at the swim start and giving me some encouraging words before we got in that cold water. For the thumbs up you gave me on the bike as if to say 'go get 'em Shirley.' For the smile on the run course telling me 'we got this,' even as I struggled with extreme GI issues. For all the kind words you shared with me after I sprained my ankle at the Gator Half Iron and all the support you gave other team members at the workouts and races. No doubt it will take me a while to stop looking for you and your pink T-mobile bike on the roads but I know you will be with me in spirit ... Rest in peace, my friend.

Denise said...

Roy, I did not have the fortune of knowing you well in my brief time on tri with you, but you left a lasting impression nonetheless. Thank you for encouraging me to push a little harder when we warmed up at 6am, leading by example so that those around you could embrace their achievements no matter what their stage in training, and for living your life with class and compassion. Your life on Earth was cut short but your legacy remains in each of us who know you and those you've inspired us to touch. Thank you for being you. We'll miss you Roy.

Chris Markham said...

My first experience with Roy was the Gator Half Iron Man and he wasn't even there. I needed a wetsuit and he gave his VERY nice suit to Jacklynn to bring to me even though we had never met before. I got the privilege to chat with Roy at dinner at St. Anthony’s and thank him for his generosity. We talked for a while and I got a brief glimpse into who he was. From the very brief time I spent with Roy, I can tell he was a great man.

Danial123 said...

With a bright and energetic color scheme, the Dreamcycle is fun cruiser that really makes a statementCalifornia Bikes.
cruiser bicycles

Danial123 said...

Certain parts of a cruiser will rust if left out in wet conditions, especially the chain, and if the chain rusts you cruiser will not ride as smooth as it should.
bike locks


Copyright © 2010 - Blanchard Park Y Tri Club - is proudly powered by Blogger
Smashing Magazine - Design Disease - Blog and Web - Dilectio Blogger Template