Wednesday, July 21, 2010

As many of you know, our tri club spinning classes are sometimes so full that not everyone can get a spin bike. Yet, there's still room on the floor so Coach Jacklynn has been encouraging everyone who has a trainer to bring theirs and their bike.

Trainer??? You mean the "Body by Jake" guy?


No. A bike trainer, which is a piece of piping and rollers that can turn your bike into a stationary bike and give you a great indoor workout. (By the way, there are also things called rollers which some cyclists use for indoor training but unless you are quite advanced or have a death wish, we will not talk about those.)

First off, given that we live in a place that's warm enough to ride outdoors year around, why would we want to ride a bike indoors?

In short, more focused training, better use of time, more time on your bike and convenience.

On a trainer you won't have any stop signs, traffic lights, downhills, or people to draft behind so you can focus on a specific structured workout as in the spin classes or on your own, say, following a Spinerval DVD. Since you will generally pedal the entire time while on a trainer (no coasting), studies have shown that roughly 45 minutes on a trainer burns about the same amount of calories as riding a bike outside for an hour at comparable effort (although your speed will be different as you'll have to overcome air friction and wind drag when riding outdoors). Riding your own bike, versus a spin bike, you'll spend more time in your saddle (if you're new to riding, a must to either get used to it or figure out you need a new one), be able to practice using your gears, reaching for and putting back your bike bottle, clipping in/out of pedals, using aero bars if you have them, etc., all of which will help you become a better cyclist for tris. And lastly, having a trainer just makes riding more convenient, especially for folks who work full-time and can ride only certain times. Whether it's dark outside or pouring rain, you can always just put your bike on a trainer and ride!

A couple additional notes: If you decide to bring your trainer and bike to a spin class, don't forget the wheel block (the thing that goes under your front wheel to make your bike level) or else you will feel like you're riding downhill the entire time and your arms will get really tired. Also, if you ride a trainer often, check your rear tire for wear regularly as it will wear down much faster than your front tire. There are special tires for indoor training but unless you have an extra rear wheel to put it on or plan to ride on a trainer for an entire season (like folks who live in cold places do), they are not worth getting because they are not designed to be ridden outdoors and you'll have to change tires often.

Ride safe, ride hard – Dave

6 comments:

Denise said...

Very timely info for me, I've been wondering about trainers. Thanks!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm starting a new internet website directory and was wondering if I can submit your blog? I'm trying
to mature my directory little by little by hand so that it retains top quality.
I will make sure and put your blog in the appropriate category
and I'll also use, "Blogger: Blanchard Park Y Tri Club" as your anchor text. Please let me know if this is ok with you by mailing me. Thank you

Here is my weblog ... How to Golf

Anonymous said...

Hi there
Your post on Blogger: Blanchard Park Y Tri Club is
good & well thought out.
I must be back to view new blog posts!

My weblog Shooting Games

Anonymous said...

Howdy,
I was thinking about adding a backlink back to your site since both of our sites are
based around the same niche. Would you prefer I link to you using your
website address: http://www.blogger.com/comment.g?

blogID=7238538110242839051&postID=1771688590991112471 or blog title: Blogger: Blanchard Park Y Tri Club.
Please let me know! Kudos

Feel free to visit my web blog ... Desktop Gadgets

Anonymous said...

I really like what you guys tend to be up too.
Such clever work and coverage keeps me reading!
Keep up the good work. I've added you guys to my blogroll.

My web blog - iPad Golf

Anonymous said...

Fantastic blog! Do you have any hints for aspiring writers?

I'm planning to start my own site soon but I'm a little lost on everything.

Would you suggest starting with a free platform like Wordpress or go for a paid option?
There are so many options out there that I'm totally overwhelmed .. Any suggestions? Thanks!

My blog ... best iPhone app


Copyright © 2010 - Blanchard Park Y Tri Club - is proudly powered by Blogger
Smashing Magazine - Design Disease - Blog and Web - Dilectio Blogger Template